Monday, August 15, 2011

Meatless Monday

Whenever I hear "Monday" I think of 6th grade choir when we sang The Mamas and The Papas' "Monday, Monday". I was stuck singing nothing but, "Ba-da ba-da-da-da." This comes as no surprise from any of those who have heard me sing. I made choir solely by the fact that our school was so small they couldn't turn anyone away. Of course, I was a bitter 12 year old because I truly believed I should have had a solo singing Monday's praises.

In any event, my blog has been a bit dry lately. It's true. It has. It won't hurt my feelings if you agree. I've been trying to think of something that I could undoubtedly post once a week to keep things going. The solution? Meatless Monday.

The Thorkelson household has significantly cut down our meat intake over the past year. This has been for many reasons. Primarily, it's because we want to live a long, healthy life. I won't get on my soap box, because I firmly believe "to each their own"and a lot of people prefer to get their protein from animal sources. However, we've been pretty inspired by reading books like The China Study and following blogs of those like Kris Carr. All of this information has had me seriously consider the transition to a plant-based diet. I'm not there yet. But I think it's safe to say I'm *almost* there. Eric is even considering it, which surprises me the most. When we first started dating, he said it'd be a deal breaker if I were a vegetarian. I then ordered a double bacon cheeseburger to make sure I would seal the deal. Kidding. Kind of.

Anyway, I thought I would start posting a weekly meatless recipe to join in on the "Meatless Monday" movement. Of course, these said recipes will be posted on Monday.

Now for the first recipe....

Roasted Eggplant and Tomatoes with Pasta
This one is super easy and perfect for these summer days....

Ingredients
Penne pasta
1 Eggplant, diced into 1/2 inch cubes
1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes, cut in half
Olive oil
Salt
Pepper
Ricotta cheese (about a dollop per serving)
Fresh basil, chopped (as much or as little as you like)

Directions
Toss eggplant and tomatoes in olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast your eggplant and tomatoes in oven until tender (about 45 minutes). Meanwhile, cook pasta. Toss eggplant, tomatoes and fresh basil with pasta. Drizzle with olive oil and top with ricotta cheese. Voila! So easy.


2 comments:

  1. Love this Ally! I have been meaning to find some really good vegetarian meals; really anything healthier than a frozen pizza. Too bad Beau is such a meat lover, but if Eric is considering it, maybe there's hope for Beau too! ;)

    Looking forward to more lovely recipes.

    ReplyDelete