Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Wheaties are in our future

About a week ago we decided it was time to undergo an experiment: Wheat meet Henry. Henry meet wheat. The experiment started with some cornmeal/wheat toast ladened with blueberry jam. At first, he just licked the jam off of the bread. This is typical Henry style. Ketchup first. Chicken nuggets last. Anyway, he eventually got the toast down. And we waited. We waited the four days and had absolutely no eczema flare ups. Yay! Of course, the skeptic in me was like, "It wasn't straight up wheat toast. We need to run the trial again." So we had spaghetti with your average white pasta. Not brown rice pasta. Not spelt pasta. Not quinoa pasta. But just good ol' Creamette. He ate three bowls. Still no reaction... It's so hard to explain how excited we are. A part of me believed he would overcome this allergy. However, I was trying to be realistic and know that there was a possibility a wheat allergy would just be a fact of life. Well, I hope I don't jinx it, but I think we're in the clear. I already have the bread baking.

1 comment: