Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Octopus? Dolphin?

I'm finally up and running again at HOPE Center. With vacation, Eric's schedule and life just happening, I've been away for a couple of months. Usually I'm the lone ranger at the front desk, but yesterday I had a partner: the new intern. And she's deaf. I was told this and I instantly searched my brain of all of the sign language I know...and then I realized how impractical my limited sign language skills actually are. Do you think she wants a glass of "milk"? "More" paper clips? "All done" with the stapler? I've never felt so paralyzed in my life. I wanted to talk to her...tell her I liked her tattoo. Loved her dreads. And just make small talk. Small talk gives me comfort. But I couldn't. HOPE Center, of course, is on top of their communication efforts though. They have a very cool instant messaging type system for people like me who don't know sign language. So we did have our formalities and introductions via that system. But I needed more. I found myself catching her attention and showing her that I know how to sign "octopus" and "dolphin"...as she kinda giggled at me, the director explained that I have a toddler at home (hence the kooky signs). *sigh*

However, I was most amazed yesterday that I was the minority at the office -- most everyone knew sign language. Just another reason for me to admire those ladies at HOPE Center. I go back in a couple of weeks and am determined to learn by then how to tell her that I like her dreads and tattoo. :)

1 comment: