Monday, April 16, 2012

meatless monday: thorkelson take on vegan lasagna

It was one of those days where (a) the store two miles away seemed so, so far, (b) following a recipe would require too much attention, and (c) I felt like mashed potatoes. If you know me, you know I l.o.v.e. mashed potatoes. I was often found doing my own rendition of the "mommy's little piggy"scene from "A Christmas Story" as a child (with my sister's encouragement, of course).

We had a Costco size bag of red potatoes in our pantry, so I knew I was covered there. But then I was stuck. Mashed potatoes go well with your standard meat protein, which would then quickly disqualify this meal as meatless now wouldn't it? I also didn't have the goods in the house for some sort of meat[less]loaf. After an assessment of the fridge and other pantry goodies, I came up with a lasagna of sorts, which was of course inspired by moussaka with the potatoes.

Ingredients:

  • No boil lasagna noodles
  • 10 baby red potatoes, plus olive oil
  • 1 stick of butter (I used the soy-free Earth Balance)
  • Marinara sauce
  • Baby portabello mushrooms (about two cups), sliced
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 2 cups of spinach
  • 2 tbsp garlic
  • Salt & pepper
Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. 
2. Toss baby red potatoes in some olive oil; put them in preheated oven to roast (I left mine in for about 35 minutes). 
3. While the potatoes are roasting, sauté the mushrooms, onion, and garlic; when the onions and mushrooms are nice and golden, add the spinach and sauté for another few minutes until the spinach is wilted down. 
4. When the potatoes are done roasting, mash them with the stick of butter until they are a creamy texture. Lower the temp of the oven to 350 degrees.
5. Get an 8x8 pan and get ready to assemble! Layer in this order: marinara sauce, noodles, mashed potatoes, spinach mixture. You should get at least three layers with the above amounts. Add one more layer of noodles and top with marinara sauce.
6. Put in oven uncovered for about 30 minutes (until sauce is bubbling). Let it cool for 10 minutes until slicing. 

Serve with a side of green veggies.

I was really pleased with how tasty this turned out! I'm definitely looking forward to left-overs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment