Tuesday, April 10, 2012

my next unnecessary purchase

When I started working last fall we knew there would be some lifestyle changes. And I use the word "some" loosely. The most challenging piece for us has been mealtime when both Eric and I are working up until it's time for chow. Hungry parents is one thing, but a hungry child is a whole 'nother ball of wax.

When I tell people of this mealtime woe the usual response is, "Oh just throw some stuff in the crock pot before you leave for work." Yes, yes, that's all good and fun. But think for a second about what you put in the crock pot that isn't meat...right. We do have some vegan crock pot recipes (chili anyone?) that have worked for us, but frankly, they leave a bit to be desired and still require monitoring. There's not much of the "set it and forget it!" variety. Anyway, why this ramble? Our "go to" on the challenging evenings has been sushi. Well, vegetable sushi...but still sushi. It's fresh, healthy, ready to eat, and oh so good.

Henry has really taken to eating the sushi with chopsticks because that's how mom and dad eat it. Usually this just means stabbing the squishy rice parts with one chopstick and inserting the piece into his mouth. This is typically in between the times when the chopsticks act as a stir stick for mom's water, drumsticks on the table, and Walter poking devices. But hey. He's into it. I'm thinking that I'll get him these chimpstick chopsticks to help him experiment with the utensil. Plus, it's super cute. At $6.99 maybe I'll get one in a different color for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment